Pages

Sunday 16 March 2014

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro vs Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS and why I upgraded!

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro vs Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS and why I upgraded!


I have been using the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens for about two years now and absolutely love it. It's light, great in low light (f/2.8), amazing for portraits, SO SHARP! and it's only about $400 used. What a bargain! Honestly one of the best value for money lenses Canon makes. 

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro


So why would you want to upgrade to the 100mm f/2.8L IS? The only addition is the Image Stabilisation and it costs roughly $500 more!



Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro


For me it made total sense to upgrade because I do a lot of handheld macro photography and this thing has 4 stops, 4 STOPS! of image stabilisation. I know most macro photographers would laugh at the words 'handheld macro' but for the work I do I need to capture things in an artistic way, with movement. I must have full control over the camera and I can't have that when i'm on a tripod. Therefore the 4 stops of image stabilisation helps me to keep things more controlled in camera (remember image stabilisation only helps with camera shake not subject shake). These 100mm macro lenses are also amazing for portraits, which I also do handheld and, of course the IS also helps with portraits because you want them SHARP! I live in a very tropical environment so the extra weather sealing helps to keep out mould and moisture. The internals of the two lenses are very different and many say the L version is sharper than the non L but I don't believe it's $500 worth. They're both bloody sharp, that's all I need. The 100mm 2.8L IS kicks arse for me and i'll never go back.



Here are just a few of the images I have captured with the trusty old 100mm f/2.8 Macro hand held:





Print sold out












No comments:

Post a Comment