Pages

Monday 3 March 2014

10 things I wish I knew when starting out in photography!




#1 Get trustworthy advice
I started out watching You Tube tutorials on how to use a dslr camera way before I got a dslr, all because I thought I had to get the best camera I could possibly afford. Yes, You Tube told me that too! It's just not true. Go to a good camera store that sells second hand gear and talk to a human being about your options. There are so many fantastic models out there that would barely break the $300 mark second hand and come with a decent lens too! That way you can actually start taking photographs with your dslr and learn so much faster!



Canon 50D
Nikon D90













I look for people who are honest and are not swayed by brand, for example Ken Rockwell. This guy is a pro in the field and writes fantastic gear reviews. He's brutally honest and understands what situation the gear works well in. He's been a great help to me over the years.


#2 Invest in lenses not bodies
The first dslr camera I purchased was a Canon 7D. I bought it right when it came out and it cost me more than I could afford, but I still did it because I thought It would help me take better photographs. WRONG! I could only afford a 50mm 1.8 to go with it, which was actually fantastic but hardly fitting with my beautiful new 7D. What I soon realised is that (like the film days) camera bodies are just something to strap your lenses to and (these days) really don't change things a whole lot. For example any 35mm dslr over 8 megapixel will give you massive prints with amazing resolution and ANY dslr from around 2007 onward will have great iso (low light) capabilities. Don't let the salesmen or You Tube fool you! 

DSLR bodies drop in value like cars and really don't contribute a whole lot to sharpness or image quality! What?! Lenses do! Buy good lenses if you can, they hold their value like nothing else I have ever seen and will absolutely help your images. 


#3 Don't be scared
I was always worried about taking my brand new 7D out in potentially bad weather but it really prohibited me from getting some great shots. Many times the most incredible landscape scenes are either before or just after wild weather and rain. Don't be scared, take a bag, wrap the camera up, no big deal. Your camera can take a little bit of wet, just wipe it off and stop being a pussy! This is what I tell myself now. Really, if you're thinking about being a nature/landscape photographer and you're scared to take your gear outside you should probably think about getting into stock photography instead. #Boring

Just before a storm came through (best light ever)
Courtesy of Ben Messina
http://www.benmessina.com/

#4 Be patient
So many times I have left a scene because I can't be bothered sitting there anymore or thinking there might be a better composition. My advice to you is to just wait, wait and wait some more. Especially with landscapes. Just be ready for "The shot". when the sky breaks open or the moon comes out or whatever amazing thing nature throws at you. It could be an award winner if you just be patient. 


#5 Don't overexpose
Don't do it. Unless there is no other option. Unless it doesn't matter (it always does). It may look ok on your computer screen but when you print it will just be plain old base paper white. PAPER WHITE, no ink and it looks just awful. Check your histogram in camera, put your highlight alert on and check in whatever you edit your photos with to make sure you're not overexposing.


#6 Don't underexpose
Underexposure is a funny one because You don't really notice it as much. There's no alert for it and sometimes it looks cool. But if you don't want it and you try to bring it back in post processing there will be very little information and it will look TERRIBLE. Little red dots and browny-grey-black colour, yuck.


#7 Don't burn your work in Photoshop
It is so easy to overcook your photos when editing. At the beginning it's hard to notice the glitches and artefacts present when overcooking but as time goes on other people will notice and tell you about it. One tip is to angle your screen toward the ceiling and look around the image. This sounds mental but the angle really enhances banding, overexposure and other artefacts in your image that you may have missed looking straight on. Just be subtle when you edit, experiment! But try not to introduce too much digital rubbish if you can.


#8 It all depends on what you take photographs of
You may think your camera/lens/tripod/technique is the best in the world but it really depends on what you are taking photographs of. I capture landscapes and nature abstracts these days but I used to capture sports (Indoor and outdoor), weddings, portraits and architecture. They all need different types of gear. Landscapes usually require a wider-angle lens, higher resolution (megapixels), special filters, sturdy tripod and shutter release. Many landscape photographers use large format film cameras as these offer extremely high detail. Sports photographers need speed, a monopod, ease of use and long, LONG lenses most of the time. Most pro bodies like the Nikon D4 or Canon 1DX are suited to these guys because they have extremely fast frame rates. Wedding photographer like a body they can trust and that works fast, many different lenses, flashes and accessories. There is no "Best" camera or lens. It all comes down to what you take photographs of. I use a Canon 5D mark 2 with 28mm and 100mm lenses. That's all I need for what I do. I love this gear because it's simple, it works, it's fairly cheap and gives me amazing results every time. I don't worry about getting a camera with 36 megapixels that will really only kill my computer. You shouldn't either.


Captured with 5D mark 2 and 28mm lans
sunrise
Purchase print here

Captured with 5D mark 2 and 100mm macro lens
Overcast
Purchase print here 

Captured with 5D mark 2 and 28mm lens
Sunrise
Purchase print here 

Captured with 5D mark 2 and 100mm macro lens
Movement by photographer, no photoshop effects
Purchase print here 

#9 Take photographs of something you enjoy
I hated being a wedding photographer. All the stress and the bitchy brides, wow, I take my hat off to anyone who does that job regularly. I love nature, I love fine art and I love pushing the boundaries of the medium. That's why I am a landscape, nature and abstract photographer. Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.


I enjoy abstract nature photography
This is not a double exposure and is not a photoshop effect
Try pushing photography to new limits, it's fun!

#10 Take photographs
Just get out and do it. Don't be scared of what people will say or if they will look at you. Try to find something interesting and take photos of it. Learn about light and wait for the good light. Everything is beautiful in the right light. If you bought your camera to sit it on your bench and look at then great but if you really want to be a photographer you will take it out right now and start capturing life!






1 comment: